We did some extensive cleanup of Live Oak trees as I was concerned on the summer/drought stress they had gone through. During our severe winds, several trees in surrounding area were blown over and on looking a little closer at them I noticed that many blown over trees were carrying a lot of dead weight. So while dead wood is an important part of the local ecology I decided to trim some of the large and long limbs off the trees so as to try and lighten the load – thus, hopefully making them stand up to local storms a little better.
One advantage was the amount of mulch which I spread over rocky area that was also experiencing signs of erosion – time will tell.
Cleaned and repaired bird feeders.
Remowed 18′ burn break around the property perimeter. Also mowed 18′ burn break across width and length of property (dividing property into 4 quadrants).
Managed to get couple of acres mowed (east side of south/western quadrant) and around the stock tank which is now looking much better.
Just north of old barns amongst cedar and live oak trees is a shaded area that holds water and is proving to be a popular hangout for butterflies.
Clean, added new batteries and installed trail camera on western side of stock tank for monitoring of animals.
Cleaned out, checked sealing, filled in hole in base of feeder and added 150lbs milo seed for turkey.
Watered 2014 and 2013 planted trees and shrubs – lack of rain and freezing winter have been tough on young plants but so far all are doing well with no losses to report.
Filled up and cleaned out water feeders.